Skip to main content

Art Analysis

 

Wayne Thiebaud (American, 1920–2021), Pies, Pies, Pies, 1961. Oil on canvas, 20 x 30 in. Crocker Art Museum, gift of Philip L. Ehlert in memory of Dorothy Evelyn Ehlert, 1974.12. © Wayne Thiebaud / Licensed by VAGA at Artists Rights Society (ARS), NY


Food is a complicated subject, and any subject with any level of complexity can make for a great art focus. Food in art is never just food; sometimes it represents flourishing, other times a struggle. Wayne Thiebaud is well known for his textured food paintings (Whitney.org). He creates physical texture in his art through thick layers of paint. The strokes rise off the canvas. I have seen some of his works in person, and the raised texture he gives his pies and cakes is a distinct part of his style. Looking through his works can make one wonder why he has chosen food as a subject so Frequently. I have always felt his paintings have a bittersweet emotion about them. Thiebaud has often chosen to depict cakes, pastries, and everyday objects. His paintings have secured him an association with Pop Art. 


The displayed piece is Pies, Pies, Pies painted in 1961 by Thiebaud. He taught art at the University of California, Davis from the early 60s to the mid-70s, meaning he may have been in Davis when he created this (Britannica.com). When I look at this painting, I see that, like many of his works, it depicts both “plenty and loss” (TheArtStory.org). The slices are laid out in a repeating pattern, and each row is a different type of pie. Despite the consistency of types within rows, each slice differs from the one before it. The tips of the slice dip down at varying angles in the leftmost row. The counter space the pies are laid out on is a simple off-white with blue pie shadows creating contrast throughout it. The contrast of tone here focuses attention on the shadow’s sources. The plain, empty setting juxtaposed with the rows of pies paints a strange picture: a melancholic one. The way Thiebaud plays with color and tone fascinates me in these pies. For example, the shadows being different tones of blue presents well. Additionally, the layering of similar or contrasting colors against each other presents in the pies themselves as a cakey characteristic. The thickness of the colors is so satisfying in his art. Pie is a dessert, a treat, something that elicits desire. It is also a food that tends to crumble due to the nature of having crust. It is typically a messy food, yet there is not a crumb to be found in this painting. The lack of crumbs and the emptiness of the counter space is a deliberate choice by Thiebaud. There is something unattainable about these plentiful desserts. 


During Thiebaud's life, he transitioned from “commercial to fine art" (TheArtStory.org). I think this movement contributed to the thoughtfulness present in his work rather than striking commentary. His repeated use of pies in paintings refers to pie as an important symbol in the American ideal. Another significant element of this painting is geometric shapes. Thiebaud is someone who was “intrigued by the geometry of their basic shapes” when painting commonplace items (MetMuseum.org). In this piece, some plates are circles, but towards the top of the painting, they are closer to ellipses. This change in the use of shape contributes to the perspective illustrated by placing the pies at the top, making them appear farther back to the naked eye. It is a good way of showing distance. The pies are composed of triangles or triangles and rectangles. The top section of the pie is triangular, and the view of the filling is triangular or rectangular depending on the pie. The end of the counter space is not level across the painting. Instead, it is uneven and angling down toward the right. At first glance, however, the counter looks like a realistic view, and I think this is due to the perspective achieved in that slight angle and the shadows that ground the pies.


Bibliography

Metmuseum.org, https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/481764.

Thiebaud, Wayne. “Wayne Thiebaud: Pie Counter.” Wayne Thiebaud | Pie Counter | Whitney Museum             of American Art, https://whitney.org/collection/works/3042.

“Wayne Thiebaud Paintings, Bio, Ideas.” The Art Story, https://www.theartstory.org/artist/thiebaud-wayne/.

“Wayne Thiebaud.” Crocker Art Museum, https://www.crockerart.org/exhibitions/wayne-thiebaud.

“Wayne Thiebaud.” Encyclopædia Britannica, Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc.,                                                     https://www.britannica.com/biography/Wayne-Thiebaud.

Comments

  1. Testing comment function

    ReplyDelete
  2. This piece reminds me of an Andy Warhol painting - it is very "pop art" and reflective of our culture at the time. The texture of each pie gives it a realistic flair. It reminds me of a countertop display one might see at a buffet style restaurant or diner. You're right about food not just being food in art, very good insight. And....now, I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, April! Thanks for commenting. I'm glad you were able to take something away from this.

      Delete
  3. Alyssa, I really enjoyed reading your blog about Wayne Thiebaud's "Pies, Pies, Pies"! I definitely agree with your point about Thiebaud's lack of crumbs around the pies is making it seem as if these pies are unattainable. They are the perfect slice of pie that no one will ever reach. I really enjoyed how you pointed out of the elements being the shapes of the pies in triangular shapes. I also find that interesting in this painting.
    One other element that I found interesting that the painting also includes much repetition with those shapes and with the different types of pies. It looks like there are four different types of pies, however they are all repeated multiple times.
    I think your blog was really well done, and I am looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also not sure if the counter is implied or not. But I do thing you did identify all the elements for the piece. I think the lines go with the shapes being used to represent the pies and different colors make you hungry for different kinds of pies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's super interesting to know the context of the artist being fascinated with geometry, it seems he chose a great subject to focus on, the culinary world is filled with it!
    I'm glad you mentioned how much the painting pops out at the viewer in person, I feel as if it was not done justice with image compression here, a lot of what you describe is lost on me when I simply view it on a screen.
    I enjoyed your blog post very much, super interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this piece! And reading about the background and choices of the artist for this piece is a great read! I really like the aspect of the pieces of pie seeming unattainable, because in my experience pie is a messy treat to enjoy, the no crumbs and cleanliness of all the plates the pie rests on really adds to that flair.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

    My name is Alyssa. I am pursuing an undergraduate degree in accounting. I was drawn into my major by my passion for problem-solving. I was a huge fan of statistics in high school. I love learning. I think it's something we do our entire lives, and I'm not interested in stopping anytime soon. I like writing short stories and poetry when the writer inside my head accosts me, and I like drawing on the borders of my papers. I'm not great at sewing, but I also do some costume work. It's generally only for myself. I don't think I would trust myself to sew clothing for someone else at this point in time. My passion for learning and creating extends to my appreciation of art, and I look forward to exploring art in this class.  Powerful women: The story of Artemisia Gentileschi and her 1639 self-portrait (un-aligned.org)    Some of the ways I express myself through art are drawing and painting. I love art as a way of understanding myself better. I think all art reflects

Early Modern Art

Early Modern art covers a vast number of styles and distinctions in art because the period in time was such a busy one. There was a devastating war, innovations in technology, and a redefining of art. One major influence of some of the art from this era is The Great Depression. Taking The Great Depression into account, I have selected three pieces by three different artists for examination.  Hotel Room Edward Hopper used oil on canvas in 1931 to paint the Hotel Room . During this point in his life he lived in New York and completed a great deal of work in the Washington Square studio he owned with his wife (Biography.com). Hopper is a prominent realist painter of the 20th century.  This painting depicts a woman sitting, partially clothed, on a neatly made bed in a hotel room. She hunches forward, her shoulders parallel to her thighs. The angle of her upper arms falling parallel to her legs, resting on the ground. This room is full of lines and saturated colors, and the upper half of he