Skip to main content

Renaissance Blog

 

        La Primavera by Sandro Botticelli is a striking example of the themes of the Italian Renaissance. Botticelli was born in Florence, Italy as Alessandro di Mariano di Vanni Filipepi, apprenticing under the artist Fra Filippo Lippi, who was an early Renaissance artist (ArtInContext.org). While the meaning of this piece continues to be debated, one can still pick out the main themes. For example, “primavera” means “spring” in Italian. This painting is believed to be commissioned by Lorenzo di Pierfrancesco de Medici as a wedding gift to his wife Semiramide Appiani given “reportedly in 1482” (ArtInContext.org). Its dimensions are “207 x 319 centimeters” and it is “tempera paint on wood” (ArtInContext.org). Knowing about its commissioning highlights the presentation of love, fertility, and marriage in the piece. 

As a former Latin student, I love allusions to Classical history in art. La Primavera is a piece that satisfies my passion for the Classics while also presenting a wonderful visual. One major characteristic of the Italian Renaissance is a return to the Classical period of Ancient Greek and Roman mythology (SmartHistory.org). This piece in particular examines many mythical figures associated with love. At the center of the celebration, stands Venus. Venus is the Roman goddess of beauty and love, and she takes on a more maternal role than her Greek counterpart Aphrodite. One lens that displays her as being maternal is her role in the epic the Aeneid by Virgil; it follows Aeneas after the Trojan war. In the story, Aeneas is said to be the son of Venus, who intervenes to help him throughout his trials (Virgil). Venus is a well-examined figure by Botticelli as he also painted the famous Birth of Venus. Above flies her son Cupid, another Roman god associated with love. In myth, Cupid is depicted as a youth with wings, only maturing in the presence of the god of passion, the Greek counterpart is Anteros, like “Anti-Eros” (Guerber 109).

One detail about Classical myth is that it is forever intertwined, made evident by melding of myths. Ancient Rome possessed a tendency to assimilate the cultures around it (Lawall 312-315). There is a mixing of Greek and Roman figures in this piece, which is not uncommon. Displayed to the right of Venus is Zephyrus, the Greek god of the West wind, his wife Flora, and her former self. Before she became Flora, she was Chloris. Zephyrus assaulted her when she was Chloris. Then, he tried to make it up to her by marrying her and making her the goddess of flowers (ItalianRenaissance.org). This section of the painting displays a reference to the past that could be tied to the present: an unwilling bride. To the left of Venus are the three graces from Greek myth associated with “beauty, fertility, charm, nature and human creativity” (TheDigitalArtWorld.com). And in the far left of the painting is Mercury. Mercury is the Roman counterpart to Hermes; however, he had greater involvement in trade and commerce in Ancient Rome than Hermes did in Ancient Greece (ItalianRenaissance.org). I think his major involvement in trade and economy makes him a figure that can represent prosperity and abundance here.

  Another characteristic of the Italian Renaissance is Humanism, which focuses on human beings and their importance (SmartHistory.org). All of the mythological figures present in some way lean into fertility, marriage, love, and abundance. The scene in the painting and its nature as a wedding gift is important. It mirrors the situation of a spring wedding, giving the married couple an allegory for their successful marriage through divinity. This is humanist because it places divine figures in a human container. I think the painting displays humanism in this way because it represents people in the divine. More than just that, its emphasis on beauty and grace is humanistic as well. 

The orange grove is another important symbol. While fruitful trees can be associated with fertility and abundance, the oranges are also about the Medici family. The family maintained an orange grove on their estate (HistoryLink101.com). The nature of this marriage was a political one, and the fruitful orange trees can be associated with the hopes of it being a prosperous one. Another significant feature of the oranges is the color itself. As a piece that references ancient myths and traditions, one Ancient Roman marriage tradition was the flammeum. The flammeum was an orange veil worn by the bride (Lawall 285). I think the color orange in the painting is another present association with marriage. In addition to the abundant orange trees, there are flowers scattered throughout the ground. In association with a springtime wedding, and Flora’s power over flowers themselves, this is another heavy association with the mythical figures presented. 

This is a beautiful painting wrought with blessings for a happy marriage. It is an impactful representation of the chosen characters, and I am always excited by the inclusion of Hellenistic mythological references. However, it is also a painting that fills me with annoyance. After my own time studying Ancient Greece and Rome for the academic team I was on, I have grown weary of the representation of Roman myth. While Roman myth and Greek myth are forever intertwined, that does not change the major cultural differences and roles they had. I have had so many experiences of trying to explain the cultural differences to people only invested in Greek mythology that I grow wary of anyone who would mix them. I am tired of the conversation that Rome is a mere reflection of Ancient Greece; both of their civilizations are guilty of the very culture-devouring of which people seem to only accuse Ancient Rome.  



Bibliography


Guerber, H., 2018. Classical Mythology. Fall River Press, p.(106-130).

Historylink101.com. 2022. Primavera by Sandro Botticelli, https://www.historylink101.com/art/Sandro_Botticelli/pages/09_Primavera_jpg.htm.

Hunt, J., 2022. Humanism in renaissance Italy – Smarthistory, https://smarthistory.org/humanism-renaissance-italy/.

Italianrenaissance.org. 2022. Botticelli’s Primavera – ItalianRenaissance.org, http://www.italianrenaissance.org/a-closer-look-botticellis-primavera/.

Lawall, G., 2009. Ecce Romani II. United States: Pearson Prentice Hall, p.(283-321).

Meyer, I., et. al., 2022. "La Primavera" by Sandro Botticelli - A "Primavera" Painting Analysis, Artincontext.org, https://artincontext.org/la-primavera-by-sandro-botticelli/.

Virgil and Mandelbaum, A., 2003. The Aeneid of Virgil. New York, New York: Bantam Dell.


Comments

  1. Wow! You really brought the painting to life with the backstories of its subjects. Art takes on so many more dimensions when you can see past the elegance and the obvious talent of the artist themself, to the meaning they were trying to convey, why they chose to include what they included. Before I read your analysis, this was just a random assortment of strangers, vibing, but now I can appreciate what role each plays in the overall purpose. I especially enjoyed the detail about the orange trees and their connection to the Medici family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Alyssa! What a great insight to some history of Greek and Roman mythology, I enjoyed reading about all this. Botticelli is such an amazing artist and never ceases to amaze me. I liked your viewpoint of why this painting is humanist because it places divine figures in a human container. I appreciate all your historical knowledge on this piece and within the Greek and Roman mythology, it allowed me to appreciate this painting more. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Drew! I'm glad you found it informative. I think there's so much beauty present in Botticelli's work. I love when things are viewed through the lens of myth because myth is also a lens through which people see themselves.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

    My name is Alyssa. I am pursuing an undergraduate degree in accounting. I was drawn into my major by my passion for problem-solving. I was a huge fan of statistics in high school. I love learning. I think it's something we do our entire lives, and I'm not interested in stopping anytime soon. I like writing short stories and poetry when the writer inside my head accosts me, and I like drawing on the borders of my papers. I'm not great at sewing, but I also do some costume work. It's generally only for myself. I don't think I would trust myself to sew clothing for someone else at this point in time. My passion for learning and creating extends to my appreciation of art, and I look forward to exploring art in this class.  Powerful women: The story of Artemisia Gentileschi and her 1639 self-portrait (un-aligned.org)    Some of the ways I express myself through art are drawing and painting. I love art as a way of understanding myself better. I think all art reflects

Art Analysis

  Wayne Thiebaud (American, 1920–2021), Pies, Pies, Pies, 1961. Oil on canvas, 20 x 30 in. Crocker Art Museum, gift of Philip L. Ehlert in memory of Dorothy Evelyn Ehlert, 1974.12. © Wayne Thiebaud / Licensed by VAGA at Artists Rights Society (ARS), NY Food is a complicated subject, and any subject with any level of complexity can make for a great art focus. Food in art is never just food; sometimes it represents flourishing, other times a struggle. Wayne Thiebaud is well known for his textured food paintings (Whitney.org). He creates physical texture in his art through thick layers of paint. The strokes rise off the canvas. I have seen some of his works in person, and the raised texture he gives his pies and cakes is a distinct part of his style. Looking through his works can make one wonder why he has chosen food as a subject so Frequently. I have always felt his paintings have a bittersweet emotion about them. Thiebaud has often chosen to depict cakes, pastries, and everyday obj

Early Modern Art

Early Modern art covers a vast number of styles and distinctions in art because the period in time was such a busy one. There was a devastating war, innovations in technology, and a redefining of art. One major influence of some of the art from this era is The Great Depression. Taking The Great Depression into account, I have selected three pieces by three different artists for examination.  Hotel Room Edward Hopper used oil on canvas in 1931 to paint the Hotel Room . During this point in his life he lived in New York and completed a great deal of work in the Washington Square studio he owned with his wife (Biography.com). Hopper is a prominent realist painter of the 20th century.  This painting depicts a woman sitting, partially clothed, on a neatly made bed in a hotel room. She hunches forward, her shoulders parallel to her thighs. The angle of her upper arms falling parallel to her legs, resting on the ground. This room is full of lines and saturated colors, and the upper half of he